Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free Alternative to Twixtor

Default Free Alternative to Twixtor

Editing this as it seems pretty high up in the Google results now...

Quote Originally Posted by slowmovideo.granjow.net
    slowmoVideo is an OpenSource program that creates slow-motion videos from your footage.

But it does not simply make your videos play at 0.01× speed. You can smoothly slow down and speed up your footage, optionally with motion blur.

How does slow motion work? slowmoVideo tries to find out where pixels move in the video (this information is called Optical Flow), and then uses this information to calculate the additional frames.

http://youtu.be/WzErSCJTRAI

So the video above was a very quick test... Made this with slowmovideo, a free alternative to Twixtor. (Results may be better with a bit more time spent on it!) There are now both Linux and Windows versions available for download from http://slowmovideo.granjow.net.
    I am currently working on producing more clips using the software, as well as a basic tutorial for how to install and use it, and experimenting with the possibility of using it to produce a Matrix style 'bullet time' effect.

Watch this space!
    Last edited by twchambers; 27-11-2012 at 05:38 PM.

Nce one Tom... not enough freebies these days
    In the bag:

Lavabread ac mae rhai trôns glân

Like it - but do you know if there's a windows version anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by R1CH-G View Post
    Like it - but do you know if there's a windows version anywhere?
    Sadly not yet. It recently underwent a fairly major update, which made some pretty big changes to the code. Apparently these changes means that it 'should' be possible now to make a Windows/Mac version, but as with most open source software it's just a case of waiting for someone to do it. I'm going to have a look to see how hard it would be for me, though my coding abilities are VERY limited! If not I'll keep an eye out for updates and will post up again if they come!!

Quote Originally Posted by twchambers View Post
    Sadly not yet. It recently underwent a fairly major update, which made some pretty big changes to the code. Apparently these changes means that it 'should' be possible now to make a Windows/Mac version, but as with most open source software it's just a case of waiting for someone to do it. I'm going to have a look to see how hard it would be for me, though my coding abilities are VERY limited! If not I'll keep an eye out for updates and will post up again if they come!!
    Been looking for a decent alternative to Twixtor for a while - if you do find anything, I'd love to know about it!

Had a little look, and while I've found packaging it up for windows is waaaaay beyond my ability, it appears someone may be looking into it! Will let you know if I hear any more!

Quote Originally Posted by twchambers View Post
    Had a little look, and while I've found packaging it up for windows is waaaaay beyond my ability, it appears someone may be looking into it! Will let you know if I hear any more!
    Thank you.

http://slowmovideo.granjow.net/build...owsexecutables

Now available for windows!!! No idea how to install/use as I haven't had chance to look properly yet and don't have windows but if you're having problems shout back here and I'll see if I can help.

Right. Just spent the day trying to sort things out with this programme. 4 hours learning how to use it, 3 hours doing things wrong and another 4 to 5 hours trying to make the programme do more than it was capable of - total 12 hours.

Verdict:

Not the easiest programme to use and it assumes that you already know loads of stuff (which I didn't). There are almost feck all tutorials out there, and for the Windows version, there are precisely feck all tutorials.

The programme does not work well with a moving camera - there is simply too much data for it to interpolate and the end results are not fantastic. If you're gonna use the programme, make sure you use footage from a static camera.

Processing requirements are massive - if your computer is a tad older (no dual core and all that shizzle) like mine - make sure you've got plenty of time for rendering!

That said, I think I expected the programme to do rather more than I should have and I have certainly learned an awful lot about what its limitations are, it's open source and will only improve as more and more people add features.

Would I use the programme again?

Definitely. I can see that it has limitations and the GUI is kind of poor, but the interpolation was crystal clear even though the final result left a lot to be desired.

TWCHAMBERS - many, many thanks for sharing the link - I've learned a lot today!

What the Donald are you two on about?